What you need to learn about EC-Council CEH Certification
The CEH Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
Hackers have become so advanced in our current society which necessitates the need for a security analyst to learn hacking to keep up with the pace. This is why there are courses that train one to think like a Hacker. This course is known as the Certified Ethical Hacker. Have you attempted this exam? Have heard of it? If your answer is NO, worry not. This article is for you. It will explain all the details about this exam.
What is a certified ethical hacker exam?
A certified ethical hacker certification is a professional exam that is offered by the EC-council CEH. The EC-council validates the skill and expertise in the IT sector. IT operates on a motto that if you intend to catch a hacker you have to think like a hacker. CEH exam equips the learner with the knowledge about hacking. It then trains its students to think like a hacker to explore any vulnerabilities in an organizations’ system. This exam is necessary if you want to be a penetration tester. It’s the pinnacle of success for IT student.
CEH Certification cost
The standard CEH exam cost is $500. If you are a self-study student you pay an additional $100 which is nonrefundable.
Who should attend CEH TRAINING?
This is a professional exam meant for IT students. It best suited for IT students who have a minimum of 2-year work experience, especially in the information security.
The exam consists of 125 multiple choice answer and it is to be completed within four hours. This translates to around two minutes for each question. The pass mark will vary depending on the hardness of the questions. Most of the time 70% is the pass mark. If you manage to score more than that you still get the certificate.
Eligibility for the exam
Not everybody can take the exam. For anybody to sit for the exam the person must satisfy either of the following two conditions.
- Attend official CEH v9 training. Somebody who has attended EC-council training either at their center, through other credited organizations or any other way approved by the EC-council is eligible to sit for the exam
- Attempt without official training. They are normally rigorous when someone wants to attempt the exam using this way. You must satisfy the following
- Have a minimum of 2-year experience in the information security field
- You will also have to pay $100.00 which is non-refundable.
- Submit CEH Certification eligibility application form
- Wait for approval from EC-council
- After which you will receive a voucher number in your email. You will use this number to register
An ethical hacker’s career path
An ethical can work in a lot of fields. After completing the CEH exam the career field widens. There are lots of fields one can work with. The common fields are security analyst, penetration tester, security auditor, computer forensic analyst, cyber security analyst among many others. You still can get work on the governments IT programs.
The salary for an ethical hacker
Perhaps you are tempted by good wages. I promise you are at the correct place. Ethical workers with certifications from the EC-council are paid handsomely. The salary though varies with the type of job experience and location. In most case the salary for an ethical hacker will have the following range:
- For a person with less than five years of experience, the average salary is $50000.
- One with experience between five years and 10 years the average salary is $100000
- A person with experience above 10 years the average salary is above$125000
The above salary range has not factored in allowances. Therefore, the total salary could be more than the ones quoted above.
What is the importance of the exam?
Besides the normal high salary that you would receive from passing the exam you gain the following benefits.
- You get to understand the risk and vulnerabilities that affect modern organizations.
- Learn to think like a hacker. You will learn the Hackers’ mindset which is very essential if you are to fight or prevent hackers into an organizations’ system.
What skills must a certified ethical hacker have?
- Analytical skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Good communication skills to be able to relay any information to the management.
- A good understanding of computer languages.
We all agree to the fact that this exam is the pinnacle of success for any person who wants to be a penetration tester or a security analyst. You are able to learn a lot. The fee might be expensive but the exam is worth taking. You should give it a try.